Sunday, January 15, 2012

Exploring..


The long awaited for picture of my authentic Indian Attire! (this is for you Rebekah, yes I know I am the best sister-in-law ever!) This is one of the 2 outfits I've purchased so far.  Thursday when I attend Dosti, Yaari, and Qawwali's public performance and hour recital by the Nizami Brothers I will most likely wear this outfit in the Mosque but I will use my dupattaa (scarf in Hindi) to cover my head!


 Today Sunday the 15th we went to a few sites in Delhi.. We started our tourist tour (I took way too many pictures.. as if my blonde hair, and white skin doesn't scream tourist enough, the camera glued to my hand definitely did!) We first went to the Lotus Temple ( Baha'i House of Worship).  The design is inspired by the lotus, the exquisitely beautiful flower and symbol of purity that is inseparably associated with worship and religion in India.


The second stop was the Humayun Tomb.  It was inherited by Humayun in the Mughal Dynasty when his father died in 1530.  His tomb was believed to have been designed by his widow.  It was the precursor to the building of the Taj Mahal!  There are over 100 tombs in the walls and Humayun's tomb lies by itself in the center of the room in the top dome.  (pictures soon to follow)  Just before entering the gates this man (looking for money) sat with us and told us the story of the history behind this 1530 architecture.  He was utterly disgusted when we offered him 10 rupees.. he actually rejected our money... oh well.. He made for an amazing picture!

This women was sitting on the top outer balcony of the Humayun Tomb.  She was so peaceful and in such a relaxed state of mind.. I wonder what she was thinking... I could see in her hands and soles of her feet the exhaustion of her life.. but her eyes told a different story.  Her eyes beamed with peace!  She was simply amazing!

After there we went past the India Gate it was almost identical to the Arch of Triumph that I saw first hand in Paris, France.  It was beautiful.  It was a large arch that was represented as the main gate of India. (pictures to follow)

Finally we drove to parliament.  It was out of control soo big holy cow... there was the military headquarters on one side, the prime minister on the other, and straight ahead was the presidents house.  Umm house was an understatement... the ESTATE which it is, is ridiculous... maybe they should take some of the money they put towards the electricity in that house and use it to help some of the poverty that covers the streets... I hate how insanely out of control the amounts of money they spend on decor... yuck it makes me sick... when ultimately they could be helping reduce poverty and promote health in a country that desperately needs it. (ok I am off my rant )

More to come!

3 comments:

  1. Love your garb you look great :)....and the top picture of the man... great photo! how interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the outfit! Kath your writting is wonderful, and the pictures just add to the beauty of it all. I am so excited to "be" on this trip with you. Keep it coming, God bless you and keep you well. Mrs. L

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one of my four favorite sisters-in-law! I LOVE the orange and pink. So pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete