Saturday, January 28, 2012

Mother Teresa-- My life long dream coming true-- Calcutta





Kelly and I the night before our flight to Calcutta.  We decided to get out of our beds and pajamas, take a shower, and hit the Delhi Haat.. no sense in being miserable in bed..

Beautiful women we passed while exploring Calcutta's streets

 Kalighat Temple.. behind us is sacred water that is from a natural spring.. most people will bathe her first before entering the temple for prayer.  Calcutta was derived from the word Kalighat.. it is a 200 year old Hindi temple that has 20-25 goat sacrifices a day.

 Victoria Memorial-- in honor of Queen Victoria who dies in 1901.  She was the Queen-Empress in India.

Local women enjoying themselves outside the walls of the Victoria Memorial

The brainchild for the Victoria Memorial was Lord Cruzon.. the memorial is to be viewed as a "standing record" of India's wonderful history.. a visible monument of India's glories emphasizing on recent centuries in an unbiased manner.  Sir William Emerson the president of the British Institute of Architects was selected to design the memorial.  He chose to design in Italian Renaissance style. 

Some of the poverty that was seen in Calcutta today.. these children were in rags begging for food or money.. the one boy was cut on his arm (unfortunately I didn't have my supplies) I felt terrible for him.. his arm was full of dirt and oozing blood. 

The Mother House
54A, A.J.C. Bose Road 
Kolkata, 700016

The entire building from the other side of the street.. we arrived at the Mother House at 130pm but unfortunately they were closed until 3pm.. Kelly and I walked up and down the streets wasting time.. we eventually found a decent restaurant and had lunch while we patiently waited.. 

More poverty while we walked the streets of Calcutta-- I am amazed by how these people who have nothing still seem to have a smile on their face!  It is definitely something that I take for granted in the states... I think about how miserable I am at times and I have a roof over my head, running water, a bed to sleep in, a refrigerator full of food, and a family who loves me..  

Missionaries of Charity-- Kelly and I were able to attend Mass with some locals and the Sister's.. This is a picture of Mother Teresa's Tomb.  "One of the most beautiful and one of the most encouraging passages in the gospel are the words of Jesus regarding Faith: Happy are those who have not seen and yet believe."  Mother Teresa

Mother Teresa worked here from 1950-1997.. We were able to go into her bedroom (which is where she passed in 1997), she sat and worked each day at her desk in her room.. never closing the door.  When she died she was said to be praying as she took her last breathe while looking at the cross and crown of thorns she had hanging on her wall.  

When I got on the plane yesterday to travel to Calcutta I realized that it was Really happening.. I was going to walk the streets that Mother once walked.. see with my eyes the poverty that she worked every day to fix.. Coming here has opened my eyes to so much more.. To witness with my own eyes her work.. to feel her tomb with my own hands.. to sit with the Sister's and experience communion.. all of this is worth every hardship I've encountered.  To be honest 3 years ago I thought I would never make it to India.. I lost track of what my goals were in life.. I lost myself.. I allowed my spirit for volunteer work to be taken from me.. I allowed others to control my heart and I am forever grateful for the pain I've gone through because it led me back to my Heart, to my Passion, to ME!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kathleen,we are all with you on this journey. You have given so many so much with your writings. Knowthat you never lost you way. You were just given a different route to get to this place. As much as we all want to blame that person, and have, I believe Mother Theresa would tell you to be grateful to him for because of his tresspass into your life, your dreams and goals were heightened, and you once again walk the path that God has set out for you. Feel better, walk freely with peace and love in your heart, and remember all of us who are here praying for you while you pray in that sacred place for all of us. May the Good Lord continue to bless you on this journey. Love to you, Mrs. L

    ReplyDelete