Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sunder (beautiful in Hindi) India

Today we went to Vidya (means Knowledge in Hindi).  This will be one of my two placements a few days a week.  I will be working in 2 slums known as Munikaa and Okhla.  These two sums have schools that were started by the NGO Vidya.  Their schools start primary 1-5 and then grade 6-12.  Most children by the 8-12 grades drop out because they don't have the money for a personal tutor.  The reason many need a tutor is due to 50 plus kids in a class which equals very little individual time.  I will be working in the two schools giving medical exams.  I will be checking eyes, ears, throat, height, weight, hygiene, and much more I am sure!  I will be able to teach the children as well.  Their schools do not have toilet paper.. very rare does ANY place have toilet paper.. so they are taught to rinse with water.  I am hoping to teach them proper hand washing technique, foot-care (because many don't have shoes), proper food intake, and I am sure much much more! 

 Local woman preparing food for locals (her way of income)

 Fresh fruit stands.. Many people sell fruit as their main source of income.. today I purchased 2 cucumbers  and 3 tomatoes for 30 rupees (62 cents in US).

 "The Ricshaw" very inexpensive transportation in India.. I will definitely be experiencing a ride in one of these!

 I love their carrots... they're RED and DELICIOUS

 Another main form of transportation in India

 Kelly and I in Flat 167 where we eat, have meetings, and get picked up for placement in the morning.. Today was our first day wearing our attire. 

 Bob (a volunteer), Vicky (administration dept), Jaggi (program director), Myself, Kelly

Suresh one of our two cooks! He makes fantastic food!  He looked away he was too shy.. all he did was laugh! Precious

Today when speaking to Mala Goyal the NGO head for Vidya I learned some fascinating things about India.  I hope to get a picture soon but until then I will just explain.
Neem Tree-- is a very common tree found all over Delhi.  The tree is considered a disinfectant/antiseptic tree.  The locals will cut branches and shred the bottom and use it to brush their teeth.  When they are getting over bug bites or anything dry and itchy they will rub the branch up and down the arm to relieve the sting and itch.  They also make soap and toothpaste out of the tree.  It is a wonderful resource for all to use that costs nothing! 

Tomorrow morning I will be leaving at 730 am for my first day at Mother Teresa's home for the Dying and Destitute.  I will update everyone on how the day goes.  Then Thursday I will be working my first day in Ohkla or Munikaa with the children.

A few side notes.. Delhi is beautiful in its own unique way... So many people are hesitant about coming to India because of the poverty, garbage, dirt, "smell", etc.. I definitely stereotyped the country before my arrival.  I've only been here for 5 days and have not traveled that much but I must say I was wrong.  The country is amazing.. the streets yes are lined with "shanty towns", dirt, and poverty.. but they are also covered with low income/poverty stricken people "WORKING" to make some sort of living.  I look around the US and we see "bums", homeless, low income not working etc.. here they try!  They try to make ends meet.  Every morning I wake up to a man pulling a cart of vegetables on his bicycle.  You can see in his eyes he is exhausted but he continues to try and sell anything he can to make himself and family some money.  Women have stands where they cook or sew to earn a living.. Men have barber shops on the street corners.. they shave men in a chair on the street holding a mirror.  They make the best of each day! 

Today we had a scavenger hunt/get familiar with your surroundings.  I had to buy a loaf of bread (30 slices cost 20 rupees 40 cents in US).. I chose a man who was in rags on the street to buy the bread from.  I asked him in Hindi Ye Kitne Ka Hai (how much is this) to see his face when I spoke Hindi was worth much more than 20 rupees.  I am getting to learn the culture, understand their way of life, and appreciate the smaller things in life.  

Until next time Suno Dhanyavad (thank you for listening) 

2 comments:

  1. Kathleen, you are AMAZING...I love hearing about your adventure!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath, this trip will change you forever. Who would have thought a few years ago that you would be in India. When one door closes another opens. For you, a world of wonder and peace. God bless you and keep you safe and well.

    ReplyDelete