Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I want you to be concerned about your next door neighbor. Do you know your next door neighbor?

 The title of my blog today is a quote by Mother Teresa.  As you read it can you honestly say you know your neighbor??  As I think about it I know very little about most of my neighbors except for 1 or 2.  Mother Teresa had not only 1 or 2 neighbors instead she had everyone she met for she was a woman of the streets who gave all that she had (which was nothing) for other people.

Today I ventured into the House for the Dying and Destitute.. upon arrival I was greeted by Sister Sanis she welcomed me with open arms and a HUGE smile!  She stated she always starts anything with prayer.. She welcomed me into the Chapel (we took off our shoes first) where we said a quick prayer.  The Home was made of marble, it was mainly open, and very bare.  She started the tour which consisted of a kitchen, courtyard, bath area, and a mens bedroom and a separate women's bedroom.

Within seconds of walking into the women's room I was swarmed with Nemastey's (Hello in Hindi), Aapka Naam Kya Hai (what is your name in Hindi), smiles, hand shakes, hugs, blessings, and much more.  The room consisted of rows and rows of beds that contained a blanket and a pillow.  Many of the women were seated on the floor or snuggled in their beds.  It was an extremely cold today so the women were restricted to their bed and not the courtyard.

For the first hour there I painted the women's nails with the other volunteer Grace.  Their eyes beamed with excitement.... I couldn't tell if they were enthralled with the feeling of being Sunder (beautiful) or the personal contact with Grace and I.  As I sat on the corner of Punja's bed (a patient).. I gazed over the sea of hunched over, frail, young and old, crippled and not crippled,  poverty stricken women and began to cry.  I couldn't contain my emotions.  All I could see or feel was the exhaustion in the room, the strength these women have, and the love they have for one another (strangers).

I noticed one of the Sister's preparing medications.. I approached her and inquired about the patients needing medications.  I informed her of my Nursing degree and her eyes beamed with HOPE.. she quickly took me to the medicine cabinet and began asking me question after question about medications. She didn't know very many of the meds (some patients bring some others are dropped off).  As I stood there and stared at the broken hinged cabinet, I began to wonder what we would do in the States with this cabinet.. For the next 2 hours I went through the medications, disposing of the expired meds, labeling the meds I knew, and writing down the meds I did not know (which I've researched already and have written out for the Sister's).  I then sat with the Sister and started to initiate my goals at the MTDD House.  I taught her how to take a blood pressure and record the number.  She informed me that she would like me to examine all the women in the home.  She gave me all the names of the patients.  I have already started making my charts and doing my research!!  I am so blessed to be able to give assistance to these Sister's.

To finish my day I sat with Mary (a patient) and fed her lunch.. Her hands we filled with arthritis, she had very few teeth, and was non-verbal.  As I finished feeding her, I knew their would be no thank you but their was a HUGE crooked toothless smile that melted my heart!  I am definitely where I am supposed to be :)

In yesterday's blog I mentioned the poverty in India and how I found beauty in it.. here are a few pictures to help you understand it through my eyes..

 
 Garbage, dirt, poverty, and despair

 Shanty town surrounded by dirt..


A woman who has only the clothes on her back and this tiny food stand.. still standing, still surviving, still making the best of life! 
  

1 comment:

  1. Kath, your writing is beautiful. I am sure that the people you are helping think you have been sent by God. May God bless you in this endeavor and keep you safe and well.

    ReplyDelete